Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lost opportunities


Day 3: 03/27/2010
I'm not sure if I'm being hard on myself or if I'm a hack. I archive all my work and revue my results at the end of every week. This past week I know I worked hard, but the best picture I took was from a freaking press conference. A press conference? I'm having trouble letting that sink in.

I know that it will take time to get back to full strength. Yet there is a part of me that expects more -- it keeps me up at night. Did I do enough?

Joel Sartore would ask if I have any irons in the fire. He's a big advocate of working on long-term projects. If I was allowed to offer an excuse I would say that I am just trying to learn my job and get comfortable with my equipment. But in the end there is no place for excuses. I could have got up early and done some enterprise photography. I could have looked for a story that deserves more attention. Instead I was happy to let my assignments dictate my opportunities.

My goal for the coming week is to look beyond my assignments for success. Hopefully the next time I revue I won't find that my best picture was given to me in the form of a "photo opportunity."

No comments:

Post a Comment