Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Day Closer to Heaven


Reports of morels popping in nearby states continue to tempt me to take a long lunch. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out to the woods.

Morgan heard morels were being found in Missouri. Typically, Northern Missouri is a week ahead of Mineola.

Early season morels in the Missouri River Valley are small. I try to limit my picking to mature morels, with open Ascus. That said, while it takes a long time to find enough for a meal, they are the perfect size for soups and omelettes. As an added bonus, they are usually bug free and and gorgeous.

The earliest I have ever found morels near Mineola was April 14th. Two single morels about six feet apart, the size of a small exterior Christmas light bulbs. One looked like it had been dipped in marshmallow sauce. They grew on the south side of a rise with good sun exposure. Although there was only two to be found that day, it is still one of my favorite discoveries.

The first is always sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment