Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Great First day


Today I hit the road at 7:30 am., but not to hunt.

First, Morgan and I went to Greg Wagner's studio to be on his outdoor show. I was slobbering all the way there -- I knew that Ken Stoysich was bringing in smoked turchicken and some of their famous brats.

The show went great. Greg is a terrific host and other than feeling a little stuffed after consuming a cherry bomb brat, a reuben brat and about a pound of turkey, chicken and stuffing, I thought it went well.

I might have a man crush of Ken. If you want good food, start with Stoysich.

Then Morgan and I took his youngest to a WMA in Bellevue and started our first hunt of vacation. I took three pounds of sweet medium- and large-size yellows in about four hours of walking. We were competing with several groups. Morgan and Connor combined for another three pounds.

It was a real treat to spend time with Connor -- not a better kid out there. He was patient and fully engaged in the woods.

On the down side: I picked about ten ticks off me -- one latched -- and we were once again driven to fits of insanity by attacking mosquitoes.

Tomorrow we head to a special place -- can't say exactly where -- and hope to pick several pounds. Big D and I made new buckets for the trip.

If you're not familiar with Rootball's theory on buckets -- take a bucket (any size from a gallon ice cream bucket to a five-gallon pickle bucket) and drill half-inch holes in it. It's a safe place for your 'shrooms -- sparing them from the beating they would take in a mesh bag during a long walk, gives you plenty of ventilation and doubles as a seat when you get tired of carrying your harvest. I only use a mesh bag when I think I'll be finding just a few. I say if you're going to pick them, don't waste them. Not even one.

No comments:

Post a Comment