Sunday, April 18, 2010

Morels for Dinner


We put in five hours of walking, we fought off swarming mosquitoes and seed ticks and we found enough morels for dinner. I call that a great first hunt.

Most of the morels were about the size of my thumb. Several were thick walled and golf ball-size -- perfect to cut and fry.

It was our first time to Gifford Point. We found morels within 10 minutes of walking into the woods. There is an access issue -- if you don't want a long walk you might want to look elsewhere. It is a full 1.5 miles from the parking lot to public access.

I danced. I sang and danced. It took a few hours to find the right tree, but I found about 40 on the north side of a fallen cottonwood. A great first day. Big D and I picked more than 100. Sasquatch had a nice sack as well.

Back out tomorrow -- I'm going to try the Iowa side of the Missouri near Council Bluffs.

1 comment:

  1. What are the rules for picking on public lands? Game and parks seems to promote Morel hunting and always warns about trespassing but don't say much about rules in parks. And I see that you went to a WMA from the photo.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete