Monday, April 19, 2010


Walking past signs specifically prohibiting mushroom harvesting only makes me more obsessed over how many mushrooms are on the other side of the fence. Every time I see a "no picking" sign, visions of fields of gray and yellow morels keep popping into my head.

A no trespassing sign is sufficient -- I don't cross fences and I always try to obey the law.

That said, is it possible that by specifically prohibiting foraging, the landowners are taunting us?

Do some find it too much of a temptation?

Greg Wagner, of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, has told me on numerous occasions that trespassing complaints spike during morel season.

I feel for the landowners. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford land. However, I would if I could and definitely would not appreciate going for a hunt at my own honey hole and finding nothing but stumps.

A couple seasons ago a land owner ended up with legal trouble for trying to defend his mushrooms with a handgun. I doubt I would go that far to protect my fungi treasures, but I might install a 20-foot electric fence and give vicious dogs the run of the place.

If you see some woods you want to hunt, find the owner. Ask. If you aren't able to get permission, look elsewhere.

If you own land it might be a good idea to give mushroom hunters access. We are willing to pick up garbage, identify and report barrels filled with dead bodies and meth labs... and share what mushrooms we do find.

2 comments:

  1. Great morel blog, love your photos. Have posted a link on twitter, at twitter.com/morelmushroomer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you -- new at this, but am having a blast. Mark

    ReplyDelete